[Parl-user] My first steps with Icedove on a new machine

Erik Josefsson ehj at iimas.eu
Mon Mar 31 08:16:51 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have used Icedove before, but it was some time since I started from
scratch with a new machine.

Here are my first Icedove steps from after I got help from Jonas to set
up disc encryption and a user account on my DebianParl laptop.

So, when the laptop is up and running and I have logged in:
- I click on the mail icon in the bottom panel
- I choose Icedove from the drop down menu and click [OK] button
- then a "Certificate Patrol" window asks me to accept and store
certificates from gandi.net and hover.com: I click [Accept] button for both
- I click on the button [Skip this and use my existing email]
- I enter my name, my new email address ehj at iimas.eu and the password to
that new iimas.eu mail account
- I tick the box [Remember password]
- I click on [Continue] button

** Icedove now looks up the settings and downloads the configuration
necessary for talking to my account in the Mozilla ISP database **

- I let the configuration Icedove finds be as is (in my case IMAP and
all the rest that is provided by mail.gandi.net)
- I click on [Done] button

Now Icedove is up and running and I can click on the "Inbox" and read my
ehj at iimas.eu mail!

I also want to restart Icedove:
- I log out from my laptop user account (I click on the "door icon" in
the top bar)
- I log in to my user account again
- I click on the mail icon in the bottom pane
- when the "System Integration" window opens asking to use Icedove as
the default client for email, newsgroups and feeds I let the box [Email]
stay selected and also let the box [Always perform this check when
starting Icedove] remain checked (i.e. I don't change anything)
- then I just click [OK] button

Now I am ready to send this email to this list:
- I click on write (mouse over text is "Create a new message") and I
fill in the mail address parl-user at lists.alioth.debian.org

Voila! :-)

I will try to sign the next mail I send to this list.

Best regards.

//Erik