[Parl-user] My first steps with Icedove on a new machine

Erik Josefsson ehj at iimas.eu
Fri Apr 4 08:41:41 UTC 2014

So these are my second steps, now trying for the first time to sign a
mail with Icedove in this DebianParl project.

To be able to sign, I discovered that I need to do something that was
not obvious to me. Thanks to Cristian I discovered the Open PGP "Setup
Wizard"!

Before that discovery, the following happend:

- I open a new mail to send to Jonas (for example)
- I write something in the subject line and the body of the mail, and
click on the [OpenPGP] button (next to the [Attach] button)
- I click on [Configure] when asked "You did not yet configure OpenPGP
security for the selected identity. Do you want to do this now?"
- I select the option to [Enable OpenPGP support (Enigmail) for this
identity]
- then I select the option to [Sign non-encrypted messages by default]
and leave the other options as they are
- in the next window "OpenPGP Encryption & Signing Settings", accept the
pre-filled options [Sign Message] and [Use PGP/MIME] and click on [OK]
- then click on [Send]

** OpenPGP Alert **
** Error - encryption comand failed **

So, what went wrong??

Apparently I had not consulted the Open PGP "Setup Wizard"!

I found the Wizard in the drop down menu that looks like the Catalonian
flag, but with three stripes only. It is located just to the right of
the Icedove search box. It shows the mouse over text "Displays the
Applications Menu".

- I left-click on the Catalonian flag like button
- I move the cursor to "OpenPGP" and then to "Setup Wizard" as these
options show up
- When I click on "Setup Wizard" I am welcomed with a greeting saying
"This wizard helps you to start using OpenPGP right away. Over the next
few screens we'll ask you some questions to get everything setup."
- I choose [Yes, I would like the wizard to get me started] and I click
on the [-> Next] button
- I choose "Yes, I want to sign all of my email" and I click on the [->
Next] button
- I choose "No, I will create per-recipient rules for those that sent me
their public key" and I click on the [-> Next] button
- I choose "Yes" when asked to make OpenPGP work better on my machine
and I click on the [-> Next] button
- I choose "I want to create a new keypair for signing and encrypting my
email" and I click on the [-> Next] button
- I fill in a "Passphrase" (and I don't write it down!) and I click on
the [-> Next] button
- I click on the [-> Next] button (since this screen says I am almost
complete) and the wizard starts working on creating a key etc

** Wizard says "Key generation completed! Identity <ehj at iimas.eu> will
be used for signing" **

- I am asked to create a revocation certificate for my keys and do so by
I clicking on [Generate Certificate]
- I am asked to save the certificate "ehj at iimas.eu (0x118A93C5) rev.asc"
in a folder of my choice, and I do so
- I am asked to fill in a passphrase, i fail to do so twice (I am told
the passphrase is wrong) then I succeed to fill in the right passphrase,
but still the creation of the revocation certificate fails

** The Wizard says that "OpenPGP is not ready to use" (despite the
failure to create a passphrase above) **

- I click on the [Finish] button

Now I will automatically sign this message when I send it to the list!

Let's see if that's the case! :-)

//Erik