[Parl-user] Hangout at Karsmakers Thursday 29th

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu May 29 06:50:14 UTC 2014

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2014-05-28 18:09:36)
> Quoting Jacques.Verraes at ec.europa.eu (2014-05-28 15:15:23)
>> Thank u all for attending the lunch pledge: the expected pleasure
>> materialised. Now that we agree on what we want, we want to agree on
>> the text to forward 2 DG Digit. With the help of Jonas we will wiki
>> it together.
>
> I created a page here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/EC

I like your text, Jaap!  Especially I like how you very clearly frame
what you later refer to as "security and reliability" - cool!

I have one concern that I suggest here instead of changing myself,
because I am unsure if controversial: I suggest to change this:

> about the use of Debian, or other Open Source/ Free Software by the
> European Commission

...into this:

> about the use of Debian, or other FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source
> Software) by the European Commission

...and then replace all later occurences of either "free software" or
"open source software" with "FLOSS".

It may seem like nitpicking or even more confusing, but it avoids the
risk of misreading as "software with auditable sourcecode and free of
charge" which I fear is a real danger.

@Jaap: How do you feel about that change?

@Gijs: Could you take a look at the draft text?  There are some areas
that would benefit greatly from some references/fill-ins from you :-)

You can comment here, or better edit yourself - here's what I wrote to
Jaap about that (not sure if you're subscribed and already saw that):

> At the top of the page, register yourself.
>
> When done, go back to same web page again, and choose "edit".
>
> To see how to style the page (headlines, bold, links etc.) you can see
> how https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/GreensEFA looks in raw edit
> form at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/GreensEFA?action=raw
>
> If this was a too short and confusing guide, just tell me where you
> got lost, and I'll try from there in a slower pace.

 - Jonas