[Parl-user] EC and Debian / FLOSS - message forwarded to DG DIGIT ICT Helpdesk

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 10 13:41:30 UTC 2014

Quoting Jacques.Verraes at ec.europa.eu (2014-06-07 16:43:53)
> I sent today the collectively produced Debian/FLOSS document to the
> ICT Helpdesk. I would like to thank in particular Erik for his
> mentoring, Jonas for his steady focus, and Gijs for his content
> contributions.

That's great!

Please keep us updated with progress in this exciting dialogue.

Is the dialogue perhaps public accessible somewhere, so that we can more
directly reference and promote it to others interested in this matter?

> Please check the final text at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/EC#preview

For the record, a lasting address to your specific edition of that wiki
page is this: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/EC?action=recall&rev=9

> I hope that the document is pleasing and convincing and that FLOSS is
> further generalised in the EC and other EU institutions. Writing the
> text, I found that the EC has been constantly promoting the use of
> FLOSS in public administrations. I hope it is now convinced of its own
> arguments, insights and wisdom.

The document itself is in my opinion really really good.

Nice bonus that writing it helped you learn more about EC use of FLOSS!
Another bonus was that our collaborative proof-reading it and your
getting me down to meet had me work closer with Gijs!

To be honest, however, I am still sceptical that this document will open
the eyes of others in the EC, but am happy that you are so optimistic,
it is very inspiring - to me, and perhaps also to those we address with
this document :-)

NB!  It took me quite some time to read your edit, because I not only
wanted to read it as a text on its own, but also wanted to follow what
you had changed (and try guess *why* you did).

Here are a few suggestions for future wiki editing:

  * Add a single newline after each sentence.
    (unlike double newline it has no visual effect but helps detect
     changes when comparing line-by-line)
  * Try group changes in smaller parts.
    (e.g. save your "rewrite this section" before "tidy that phrase")
  * Save changes before and after moving whole sentences around.

That eases following your changes.

At https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/EC?action=diff&rev1=8&rev2=9 you
can see (as yellow/green coloring) how the wiki system thinks your edit
is largely a rewrite of the whole text.

It did not recognize that you changed first sentence only by a few
words, because you also added a sentence at the end of same paragraph,
and the whole paragraph was written on one line.

It did not recognize that you moved the "Using FLOSS" section down, but
saw it as erasing it at the top and adding it at the bottom.

I manually took the pieces apart and put them back together again.  I
like your document (if not how you saved it).  I like it a lot!

 - Jonas

P.S.

I am actually working with librarians to develop tools to aid machine
mapping of revisions of loosely formatted texts.  Those tools will -
when finished - be part of DebianParl, to help track progress of
legislative documents (even including unofficial drafts):
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl/Desktop#Legislation