[parted-devel] Feature request: Partition moving

Gary Greene greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Thu Apr 20 04:20:10 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 10:17 pm, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> A feature that surprisingly seems to be missing from parted is raw
> partition moving, as it seems like it would be simple to implement,
> compared to restructuring entire file systems. For example, moving a
> 200gb partition at the start of an otherwise empty 250gb drive to the
> end of the drive, leaving 50gb free at the start.  This would also take
> care of all those "Can't move start of partition" limitations, as you
> could do it in two operations, first shrink the partition, then raw move
> it to the desired start. Or move it to the desired start, then expand.
> (This is how PM handled things last I used it...)
>
> Another possible SoC project?

The problem with this is that some filesystems are VERY particular about this.
Some like NTFS actually keep the partition statistical information like the
start and end sector information in the filesystem superblock. This means
that it REALLY isn't as simple as you would think.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.tolharadys.net

Developer and Project Lead for PhoeNUX OS.
 check out http://www.phoenuxos.com/ for more info.
EMAIL : greeneg at phoenuxos.com