[parted-devel] Possible GPT r/w error

Håkon Løvdal hlovdal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 23:05:13 UTC 2006

On 25/04/06, leslie.polzer at gmx.net <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> wrote:
>   A dump of the first three sectors at different stages of the process
> would also be helpful.

Last year I wrote a patch for capturing all sectors read by parted
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2005-12/msg00049.html).
It is not super well integrated with the rest of the code, but at least it
works and it could possibly be useful for debugging this?

It supports only reading (which is simple because then there
always is a one to one relation to the content and a given sector).
In order to support writing the content of the sectors has to be
versioned and the reader has to become stateful,
i.e. the content of sector x is
    after 0 writes "AAA...",
    after 1 write "BBB...",
    after 2 writes "CCC...",
    etc

Anyone that feels like trying to update it to support writing as well?
I have unfortunately not the slightest possibility to do anything with it
before the summer since I am currently busy writing a master thesis :(

BR Håkon Løvdal