[parted-devel] keeping partitions in disk order

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Mon Aug 28 10:20:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 11:56:39AM -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> Looking at the parted code, this function is currently only called
> at the end of ped_disk_remove_partition(), so it stands to reason
> that it's designed to "fill in holes" in the numbering scheme when a
> partition is removed. Will this function also work as-is to rearrange
> the partition numbers so that they match physical disk order?
> From what I can understand of ped_disk_enumerate_partitions() and
> _partition_enumerate(), it does not seem so. Please correct me if I'm
> wrong :P
I understand this stuff is important for installer programs.

  I'd suggest adding a new function to the PedDisk API (and corresponding
label implementations): ped_disk_enumerate_partitions_from_scratch() or
something like that.

  Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/