[parted-devel] Developing a Curses frontend

Sadrul H Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 07:40:22 CET 2006

Hi everyone.

I am trying to develop a curses frontend for libparted. I am using LibGNT
for this, which I developed as part of my Summer-of-code '06 project. The
library provides some basic windowing toolkit, which makes it easy to
develop a user-friendly interface relatively quickly.

I started playing a little with libparted tonight. I looked at the parted
source, and have created a very basic UI for it. There's a screenshot here:
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~schow031/gnt/gntparted.html, and the code is
here: http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~schow031/gnt/gntparted.c. LibGNT is
available in Gaim's SVN repository (
http://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gaim/trunk/console/libgnt/). It doesn't
do any real work yet. It simply displays the list of devices, and the list
of partitions in each device. As I plan to move ahead to more features, I
would appreciate any suggestions about things to watch out for, important
features, interface design, name etc.

I would like to put it up for people to review, fix bugs, enhance etc. So,
would you guys be willing to create a repo for this, or should I get some
space somewhere (perhaps on SourceForge? Do you guys prefer somewhere
else?).

Also, what's the best way of communicating with the developers? Is that this
mailing list, or is there some chatroom you people hang around?

Cheers,
Sadrul