[parted-devel] notes about parted-1.8.1

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Dec 4 12:34:51 CET 2006

David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

> I've released parted-1.8.1 now.  Here are some changes I made:
>
> - Leslie, your disable ext2fs resize patch lacked braces around the if
> block.  Added those.
> - Otavio, I added an --enable-selinux configure option to enable
> linking with libselinux and libsepol.

Fine with me.

> Everything else looked fine to me.  The way I'm tagging and branching
> in git is a bit different from svn, so here's what I'm doing:
>
> 1) I work on stable-1.8.x and consider that the main 1.8.x development
> branch.
> 2) Once I release, I tag (git tag) the stable-1.8.x branch as vX.Y.Z

Ok.

> 3) I then make a new branch based on that tag (git checkout -b
> parted-X.Y.Z vX.Y.Z).  Why?  git doesn't support checking out
> arbitrary tags later on.

You don't need todo it. Basically stable-1.8.x is your development
branch and after you tag it, it's on same state then your tag.

> 4) I do the release using the copy off the branch I just made.
>
> The parted-X.Y.Z branches can effectively be thought of as tags in
> this context.

It's useless and wrong. Use git tag only.

You can force the stable-1.8.x to be checked out at state of one tag
and it's enough if you need to use it as codebase for something later.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855