[parted-devel] Wiki volunteer wanted

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 16:39:24 CET 2006

Anant Narayanan wrote:
>> Please, hold this decision...
>>
>> Looks like we're basically producing a already ready for use
>> solution. Why we don't just use Trac for all of this?
>
> Trac is yummy, but it supports only SVN inbuilt AFAIK. So basically
> we'll only be using its bug and wiki features. And the timeline :)
>
> All in All, not a bad idea at all, we can just disable the SVN module
> and use the rest. Leslie, David?

I think we should slow down this decision a bit before jumping in to it.
  I know nothing about Trac and it might be what we want, but we should
think about some other things first:

1) It's somewhat irritating having components of the project scattered
across different environments.  Source repo here, web site there,
download location over there, mailing lists somewhere else.  I would
like a central location for everything -or- as central as we can make it.

2) Is a wiki _that_ useful to the project?  Is there something the wiki
can provide that we can't get from the web site and mailing lists?  Too
many stimuli mean the project quickly gets to a point where no one can
find any useful information.

3) Above everything, I'd like stuff stuff to *stop* moving around
between version control systems and hosting sites.  The offers to do
things are great, but we need to get real work done and leave the
infrastructure alone for a bit.

My personal suggestion is that we should be looking for a solution
outside of any company or distribution to centralize all of the things
we need:
	- source repo in git
	- mailing lists
	- web site
	- download location
Tarballs and the web site are provided at gnu.org.  This is fine, but
they don't provide things beyond that.

I would like our resources to not be tied to any one distribution or
company so as to avoid any wrong ideas that people might get.

But all of these things should be a lower priority than working on
parted 2.0, unless you are dedicated infrastructure people.  Speaking
of, we don't really have a description of who does what on the parted
project.  How about we take some time to work up a diagram of our
current structure and then figure out what people we need and what kind
of work needs to be done?

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA