[parted-devel] Wiki volunteer wanted

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Fri Dec 8 18:26:57 CET 2006

David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

>> Trac is a good way to keep things in one place. We keep the releases and
>> website at gnu.org; while we let Trac handle the Wiki, Bug tracker. We
>> can link the existing repository from Trac (like Otavio mentioned, it
>> has a plugin for Git)
>
> I'm not opposed to Trac, but I also know nothing about it.
> Introducing new infrastructure components gets annoying to those who
> use them.  Case in point, changing version control systems.

I agree that change infrastucture isn't easy.

> New systems need to be implemented seamlessly so development isn't
> interrupted.

Well, yes and no. Sometimes, a change will take some time to get used
to but after that you can program faster then before and better.

Trac has some nice features, some of them aren't easy to explore using
Alioth as host, like plugins for Constant Integration and like. So it
would be a big plus for all of us.

>>> 2) Is a wiki _that_ useful to the project?  Is there something the wiki
>>> can provide that we can't get from the web site and mailing lists?  Too
>>> many stimuli mean the project quickly gets to a point where no one can
>>> find any useful information.
>>
>> Like Leslie mentions, a Wiki is useful for taking quick notes and
>> discussions. Mailing lists are Ok for the latter, but not the former.
>
> I disagree.  Wikis are not useful for discussions.  In fact, they are
> terrible at that.  Wikis are useful when you want to post some sort of
> quasi-static information and let other people add to it or change it,
> but that's not a discussion.

I agree that it's horrible for dicussion but it's awesome for
specifications. To do a specification on a mailing list is horrivel
because you never have the full status of it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855