[parted-devel] Call for organization

rohit hooda rohit13hoodaait at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 8 21:11:42 CET 2006

--- David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> to offer an object oriented API as well as the
> traditional 1-to-1
> >> interface is planned, with eventual inclusion in
> to the GNU parted
> >> project code base.
> > I wonder if we really need this, and whether a
> shell-based interface
> > wouldn't be easier _and_ appeal to a larger
> audience.
>
> pyparted is in use by every distribution that uses
> anaconda (that
> includes Fedora, RHEL, CentOS, Yellowdog, rPath, and
> the list goes on).
>   Gentoo as uses pyparted for the installer
> project(s).
>
> I'm more interested in multiple language bindings to
> make libparted as
> usable by other projects as possible.  Otavio
> mentioned this.  C++,
> Perl, and so on (PHP?  hahaha, that would be
> amusing!).  Shell bindings,
> sure.  My suggestion of pyparted is (1) it's already
> there and (2) it's
> in use in a lot of projects already.
>
> >> 3) Full API documentation. Probably using doxygen
> since it can
> >> generate nicely formatted API docs. Some
> functions have nothing
> >> written for them, other functions do. This needs
> to be finished up and
> >> docs need to be provided for libparted.
> > Most stuff is either self-explanatory or has docs.
>  A tutorial
> > introduction and frameworking explanantions are
> needed, not much more.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> >> 4) Unit testing framework.
> > Otavio's working right on this, but I don't know
> who will code all the
> > tests.  It seems a lot of work.  I originally
> planned to pay someone to
> > do it via bounties, but as long as we haven't
> received the donation I
> > have applied for, this obviously won't work out.
>
> This will be a lot of work.  I don't think it's
> necessary to pay
> someone.  I think once the bulk of the test suite is
> written,
> maintaining it will be less difficult.  It's the
> initial
> getting-over-the-hurdle stage that's hard.
>
> >> 5) At the same time, removing the homegrown
> filesystem code and
> >> using the filesystem libraries that are already
> out there will
> >> remove some unnecessary work in libparted.
> > That's a blanket statement.  For example, Parted
> has most likely the
> > best FAT implementation there is.
>
> So #5 was written while I was thinking only about
> Linux filesystems.
> The ext2 support leaves a bit to be desired.  FAT,
> yes, I don't think
> there's a better alternative anyway.
>
> Regarding the VFS layer...if we write it to where
> new filesystems can be
> easily added, we can then pick and choose which ones
> we want to use
> external libraries for and which ones we just keep
I would like to work on this ... i.e. for getting the
ext3 support in. I have had a few mail exchanges
earlier with leslie regarding this ( a long time ago )
but nothing worked out :(. I guess I can may a fresh
start now and get things moving on this front.

Let me know your comments.

-Rohit

> >> 1) Project Leader. Pretty much self explanatory.
> Responsible for
> >> overall project. This person should be an
> experienced C coder as
> >> contribution to parted is expected as well as
> patch review. This
> >> person should also have an interest in leading
> the project and
> >> handling those aspects.
> >>
> >> 2) Infrastructure Lead. Responsible for all of
> the IT-type things for
> >> the project. The revision control system, the
> mailing list, the web
> >> site, and other things. This person should be an
> experienced sysadmin
> >> and knowledgeable with version control systems.
> >>
> >> 3) Maintainer. A maintainer would be in charge of
> a specific branch.
> >> We have 1.8.x set up as our stable branch and
> then we have the edge
> >> branch which, I assume, we'll make releases off
> of for testing. The
> >> maintainer is also a contributor, but is the
> final person who wraps
> >> everything up for release and makes the release.
> > We already have people filling those positions,
> and it's working fine
> > (at least that's my impression).  I would really
> appreciate it if Anant
> > took up the lead in position 2), since that would
> free me from all the
> > stuff that keeps me from producing code and
> reviewing patches as
> > throughly as I should.
> >
> >   I have a personal interest in continuing to be
> the representative person
> > for Parted, but, basically, I'd be content with
> the developer position
> > if someone objects to it.
>
> All sounds good to me.
>
> >> 4) Contributor. Everyone else who regularly
> contributes to the
> >> project, but is not one of the above positions is
> considered a
> >> contributor. Contributors can have specific focus
> areas or not.
> > I think most people call this "developer" and
> leave "contributor" for
> > people who have sent one or more patches but do
> not have RCS write
> > access.
>
> Good point.
>
> >> - Everyone commenting on the plan,
> adding/removing ideas
> > I'd really like to see the Wiki set up before we
> get to the details.
>
> OK, let's move forward with the wiki idea.
>
> >> - Assigning areas to specific contributors
> > Fine!  I'll get to this in another post.
> >
> >> - Getting a rough schedule in place for some
> 1.9.x test releases
> > Speaking of which, I would like to hand over the
> lead for 1.x entirely
> > to you.  This sort of already happend, but I'd
> like
=== message truncated ===