[parted-devel] Re: [bug-fdisk] GNU fdisk 0.9

Sadrul H Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 20:31:11 CET 2006

On 12/12/06, leslie.polzer at gmx.net <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> wrote:

> <snip>

Currently implemented are alternatives to the following programs:

>   o util-linux ``fdisk''
>   o util-linux ``cfdisk''
>
> The latter one thanks to Milko Krachounov, who worked on it as Google
> Summer of Code project.  The original author of the util-linux
> ``fdisk'' clone is Harley D. Eades.
>
> ############################################
> ## Please help develop more alternatives! ##
> ############################################

I am working on a curses frontend for parted. I have done some initial work
on it, which can be found in http://gntpack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gntparted/
(screenshots in ss/). I am encouraged by the initial response it got. It's
not quite functional yet. I will be adding some autotools-shizzle shortly so
that someone can try it out. The intention is to have a very user-friendly
UI (somewhat like GParted) so that 'normal users' are able to use it
comfortably.

I am aware of the effort on GNU cfdisk. The functionality of cfdisk is way
more than what's there in gntparted right now. But I think once the
functionalities are added in gntparted, it will be more user-friendly than
cfdisk. I plan on spending a few days on this during the holidays (I was
hoping to get started earlier, but it doesn't look like that's going to
happen). It'd be great to have other people joining the effort. LibGNT is
relatively new, but it is being used for some other developing projects
(gaim-text, gntxmms2 for now, more to come). The API is very similar to the
GTK+ API, so anyone familiar with that should be able to start hacking
without much difficulty. I will post to the list when gntparted reaches some
milestone.

Regards,
Sadrul