[parted-devel] Ext4 coming

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sat Jul 1 17:45:43 UTC 2006

Folks,

There seems to be an ext4 filesystem coming with support for very large
filesystems:

<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/01/1312249>

<http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/28/454>

This is going to need adding to parted along with ext2/ext3 support.

I'll contact the libext2fs people and see whether they intend to add
ext4 to ext2/ext3 or whether they feel ext4 should be handled outside
their lib.

If libext2fs is to support ext2 through ext4, then it would be a good
reason for parted to use libext2fs. IIRC, libext2fs suffers from a 2 TB
size limitation, but if they will support ext4, they might quite
possibly address the size question in ext2/ext3, or we could contribute
this to libext2fs, or it might become a moot point if people are going
to switch to ext4 for bit partitions.

Opinions?

Amicalement,
--