[parted-devel] changes in 1.6.23 regarding disk geometry

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Fri Jun 9 18:15:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

we use Unattended (http://unattended.sf.net) for unattended Windows
installations, and we ran into the infamous "NTLDR not found" problem
when using recent Unattended snapshots. We nearly changed everything in
the Linux boot disk, but nothing helped. The old Unattended worked fine,
the CVS version didn't. True SATA disks (sdX devices) seem to be
unaffeced, but IDE-emulated SATA disks or true IDE disks (hdX devices)
seem to be affected *sometimes*, not on all machines.

After some debugging we found out that the culprit seems to lie in
parted. Parted up to version 1.6.22 works just fine. It prints out a
warning message

program parted is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it ti SG_IO

but it works just fine. parted beginning with 1.6.23 does *not* work
fine. It creates faulty partition tables that lead to corrupt Windows
installations. Even cfdisk or fdisk print out that the partition seems
to be NC (non compatible).

I read that Patrick J. LoPresti from the Unattended team tried to fix
this by the /proc/ide/hdX/settings device, but in our case, it does not
seem to help.

What exactly has changed in 1.6.23, and, more important, is there a
compatibility switch for newer releases, or are we stuck for the old
version at the moment?

Thanks
Florian