[parted-devel] Introduction of a new parted-devel list member

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Jun 14 22:06:14 UTC 2006

(Sorry Harley for the private mail)

Harley D. Eades III wrote:
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> writes:
>

>>Hi Folks,
>
> Hello, Welcome to the list.  :)

Thanks. :)

>>Initially driven by a wish to increase parted's ability to manipulate
>>ext2/ext3 filesystems, I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with Leslie,
>>and I am now joining this list in hopes of contributing to parted
>>development.
>
> Wonderful. :)  Are we currently using libext2fs?  If no, wouldn't it
> save a lot of coding by using it?

To synthesize the discussion with Harley: currently, ext2/3 is handled
by native code and indeed parted should switch to deferring some ext2/3
"knowledge" to external code. Whether it should link to libext2fs or
call mke2fs/e2fsck/resize2fs (which use libext2fs themselves) has yet to
be decided, and the decision will also have to take other filesystems
into account.

For the time being, I am setting up my devel environment and getting
familiar with the parted code. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.