[parted-devel] GNU Parted 1.7.0

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Fri May 19 17:45:39 UTC 2006

leslie.polzer at gmx.net wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 12:41:52PM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > I just brought forward all the IBM DASD code to parted 1.7.0, pyparted
> > is next.
> Sorry for being ignorant, but what is DASD?

Direct Attached Storage Device.

Linux on zSeries.  Mainframes from IBM use DASD or zFCP storage devices.
DASD has been around forever and zFCP is fibre-channel attached storage
and it works like any other SCSI disk.  But that doesn't matter because
most sites that use Linux on zSeries have DASD in the mix somehow.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA