[parted-devel] no warning when formatting >32G fat32 partitions

Viktor Vasilev viktor.vasilev at stud.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon May 22 07:35:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 02:17 Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Sunday 21 May 2006 07:16 pm, Viktor Vasilev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to create and format a big, 120GB fat32 partition and the
> > operation completed successfully. The problem is that I'm unable to
> > mount the partition afterwards. I tried creating such a big partition
> > with the windows partition editor under XP and it refused (gave me only
> > NTFS as FS option). Now that I googled a bit and educated myself about
> > fat32 it is clear that there is a 32GB boundry, beyond which fat32 is
> > unusable. Shouldn't parted give a warning in such situations?
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Vik
>
> Fat32 partitions CAN be larger than 32G. The reason that the other OS
> doesn't is the vole trying to force people to use NTFS which is more
> restrictive for Linux.

Aehm, false alarm. I'm not sure whos fault was it last time I tried, but
with the trunk code and -p6, I can create a 100G FAT32 partition and mount
in (on FreeBSD).

I'll research better next time :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Vik
--
PGP Key: 0xE09DC8D8/6799 4011 EBDE 6412 05A1 090C DBDF 5887 E09D C8D8
Signed/encrypted mail welcome!