[parted-devel] Re: Patch against SVN (1.8.0rc2): number two

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 05:13:56 CET 2006

> > Is it the /proc/partitions which can get huge? Or can /proc/devices be
> > huge too? By the way is there an upper limit for the device major
> > numbers? I am just curious.
>
> Both can get large and 16KB sort of plays it safe.

But /proc/devices lists the major device numbers for the devices on
the system. So is not 16KB too big a size for such a file? I thought
on systems with less than 64 MB of memory, 16KB can be too much of a
demand at times.

> You want to avoid multiple read passes across /proc in general, which is why
> 16KB was chosen.

If you think it is alright and necessary to have 16KB, then let's have it. :-)

> Being able to access volume groups via parted doesn't seem necessary anyway.

Why so? One may look at volume groups as the equivalent of a block
device (eg., /dev/hdb) on a non-LVM set-up. Being able to 'print' out
the whole list of logical volumes on a volume group and operate on it,
in the same way we print out a disk's (eg., /dev/hdb) disklabel and
operate on it, might be very useful. What do you think?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
"India is not, as people keep calling it, an underdeveloped country,
but rather a developed nation in an advanced state of decay."