[parted-devel] [DISCUSSION] Use of ChangeLogs with Darcs

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Sat Nov 11 23:31:35 CET 2006

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I realised that doesn't make sense we use changelogs anymore
> after we move to darcs sincs it keeps a high quality "change log".
>
> Besides, without a changelog file we'll remove the most common
> conflict cause while merging code from other branches.
>
> I what like to ask what is the opinion of you all about it?

I am not a fan of maintaining a static changelog in a project when you
can use the log produced by the version control system.  Most people
protest and say that you get log entries for administrative tasks
(renamed a file, fixed up spacing, etc).  But really, I don't care.  A
log is a log.

I would much rather us use the log generated by darcs than to maintain
the static one.  That said, I don't want to change the 1.8.x tree from
what it has now.  Let's start the new changelog policy for parted-2.0
and going forward.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA