[parted-devel] Feature requests

Justin Gombos mindfuq at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 20 21:21:11 CET 2006

* leslie.polzer at gmx.net <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> [2006-11-20 13:19]:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:50:07AM -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:
>
> When the calculated value deviates too much (grep FUZZ parted/) from
> the user's request, he is told so.
> Do you feel that the fuzzy value is too high?
> Or should parted probably inform the user in any case?
> Or maybe make it adjustable?

I was not aware of the FUZZ.  But I do think the user should be
informed before committing to something that may not meet their
partition requirements.

> > Ability to have parted shift the data to the front of a partition
> > (which is a precursor to shrinking), but without actually taking the
> > action to change the partition boundary.
>
> Probably too hard.  We're on the way of outsourcing as much file
> system code as possible to external tools for 2.0, so we most likely
> will not have the flexibility to do this.  If you have any
> suggestions for making this possible nevertheless, please hand them
> over.

Would there be a hacker approach, like somehow making the partition
table readonly before executing outsourced code?  Or perhaps copying
the partition table, and then restoring it after the outsourced code
operates on it?