[parted-devel] Feature requests

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Tue Nov 21 16:23:44 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 09:57, Justin Gombos wrote:
> * leslie.polzer at gmx.net <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> [2006-11-21 08:43]:
> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 01:21:11PM -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:
> > > Would there be a hacker approach, like somehow making the
> > > partition table readonly before executing outsourced code? Or
> > > perhaps copying the partition table, and then restoring it after
> > > the outsourced code operates on it?
> >
> > You're trying to find solutions to the wrong problem :)
> > Shifting data around on a file system is a non-trivial operation,
> > and the external tools do not offer this usually.
>
> When parted shrinks a partition, something must be compacting the data
> to the front of the partition.  Or are you saying that parted only
> shrinks the partition to the last allocated block without rearranging,
> preserving any unused space before it?

Parted doesn't move any data, all it does is shrink to a certain margin from
the last allocated block. This is because there are no defrag utilities for
filesystems in Linux, let alone Fat8/12/16/32 or NTFS. As it is, the tools
that do that under their native OS' don't do such a great job of it
either....

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net