[parted-devel] pointless superuser warning

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Wed Nov 22 21:41:16 CET 2006

Olaf Hering <olh at suse.de> writes:

> I havent checked version 1.8, but I hope that 1.8.1 will not show this
> warning anymore:

>  /usr/sbin/parted -s --version
> WARNING: You are not superuser.  Watch out for permissions.
> GNU Parted 1.7.1
>
> Whats the point of such warnings? I'm sure parted cant open the block devicenode
> anyway due to -EPERM from the kernel.

It's useful when you can see some informations but not others. For
example when you have a USB stick and use print all you see it but not
your hard disks since you aren't allowed to see them.

I fixed parted code to avoid this warning when using --version command
line.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855