[parted-devel] Re: Parted 2.0 plans

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Fri Nov 24 14:43:11 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:07:24PM +0000, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:

> Hello Leslie,
>
> >   as promised some information on the plans for GNU Parted 2.0.
> >
> >[snip]
> >

> >PARTED: -------
> >
> >Task #1 (bundle): ================= * warn before "mklabel" * alias:
> >"mktable" * NAME fix (let partition name be the last question? peek?)
>
> Could you elaborate a little bit on these?
>
> >* "physsectsize"/"addconstraint"/"addalign"/etc. command
>
> I am planning to implement the 'physsectsize' command in the next few
> days.
Great! :)  I'm not very fond of this name, however.  The idea is as
follow:  Mike Reed from SGI has told me that they cannot tell Parted to
use arbitrary constraints (I think they need to align something to
cylinder boundaries, which is not a constraint imposed by their DVH
labels).  They should be able to say:

  (parted) addalign 5cyl

  [This being a wildcard constraint imposed on partition start and end
   locations.]

Others might want to say:

  (parted) addalign 1MiB

To get their partitions aligned at megabyte boundaries (whatever that
might be worth to them).

  If you feel industrious, it would also be nice to have the possibility
to specify the start/end separately.

  The 'select' command needs to reset all active user-imposed aligments.

  Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/