[parted-devel] 'print free': does not work

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 12:14:05 CET 2006

> I think you took it wring. It's not supposed to print the used space
> of each partition but the free slots.

Oh, yes! I think so. I mistook 'freespace' as the freespace on each
partition's file system. My mistake.

However, the 'print <num>' command is also behaving strangely with
ext3 partitions. It works well with linux-swap partitions though. Here
is an example.

[root at Sunflower parted-build]# mount /dev/sda1 /media
[root at Sunflower parted-build]# parted/parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.0
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print

Model: JetFlash TS512MJFV30 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 516MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      31.7kB  516MB  515MB  primary  ext3

(parted) print 1
Error: File system was not cleanly unmounted!  You should run e2fsck.
Modifying an unclean file system could cause severe
corruption.
Ignore/Cancel? cancel
(parted) quit
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

[root at Sunflower parted-build]# umount /dev/sda1
[root at Sunflower parted-build]# parted/parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.0
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print 1
Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled.
(parted) quit
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.

[root at Sunflower parted-build]#

Am I again missing something?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
I only work when I am not doing any assignments.