[parted-devel] Solaris parted

nikhil v nvyakaranam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 12:09:38 UTC 2007

Greetings,

The basic functionality of GNU Parted (libparted) has been implemented to
work
on OpenSolaris. The code is currently at a very beta stage although the
basic functionality of editing fdisk partitions works on Solaris. The
following commands of parted are fully functional:
print, mkpart, mkpartfs, rm, mkfs, resize and toggle are fully functional as
of now.

The Parted code can be grabbed from: http://code.google.com/p/solaris-parted
Our port is derived from GNU parted version 1.8.1

Things we have added:

* We have added libparted/arch/solaris.c.
* We have also made changes to the build system and as such it only
configures and builds only on Solaris. This is only temporary.

The following are known limitations that we are currently working on:
* The code has only been tested on IDE disks. Support for SCSI is in the
pipeline.
* Solaris partitions are still displayed by parted as "unknown". We need to
  add the VTOC identification support to parted.
* The following parted commands are not functional:
* The code needs quite some cleanup
* Device probing is still incomplete.

Regards,

Nikhil Vyakaranam,