[parted-devel] add integration tests

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Fri Apr 27 01:32:01 UTC 2007

Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> writes:

> Some renaming would be fine with me.
> However, these suggestions
>
>   lang-default -> environment
>   priv-check -> test-root
>
> seem backwards.
>
> The first one is concerned solely with language-related envvars, so
> "environment" is too general.  In fact, in coreutils I have another
> such script called envvar-check that ensures that over a dozen misc
> envvars are unset, so that their values don't interfere with
> testing.  The lang-default script is solely to ensure that the
> language used in parted diagnostics is English.

In this case we then might use the name 'set-english-language' since
it's meaning of the script.

> The second tests whether the script is being run with elevated
> privileges.  I deliberately chose not to use "root" in its name,
> since the user name of the privileged user need not be "root",
> though in practice it usually is.

Then use: 'as-superuser'?

> As for the other renamings, I have a strong aversion to adding
> hierarchy.  I did that for coreutils, and with nearly 100 programs,
> if I'd created one directory for each it'd be a real mess.
> As it is, coreutils/tests/ has 45 subdirs, and that is far too many.
> Leads to unnecessary duplication in Makefile.am, and other maintenance
> hassles, not to mention a small build-time performance hit.
>
> I like the way it's done in git/t, with number prefixes to help group
> test file names (though we wouldn't need that, since the list of names
> is in Makefile.am) and with everything in one directory.
> Also, these days we needn't worry about long names, so I will
> definitely use more descriptive (and longer) names.
>
> I'll spend some time on this tomorrow.

Ok, so please propose a new schema. Jim, please keep the utilitary
scripts outside this, using a lib/ or something for them otherwise
it'll get messy.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855