[parted-devel] [Parted-commits] GNU Parted Official Repository: Changes to 'master'

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Aug 1 12:58:35 UTC 2007

Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> Jim Meyering <meyering at alioth.debian.org> writes:
>
>>     Revert "If we cannot create a new PedDisk for the device we're looking at, return NULL rather than the device path."
>>     The reverted change causes almost all tests to fail.
>>
>>     This reverts commit a6f86144c0b5fd07c462e256bc7b54095c7b8e7a.
>
> Hello Jim,
>
> Why do you think this is wrong? Ok, if the tests are failing we need
> to investigate further but makes sense to return NULL, no?

Hi Otavio,

If a change makes tests fail, then it shouldn't be pushed.
Period.  That's why it's wrong.

If someone has a test case that demonstrates the need for that patch
on the trunk, then I hope they post it.  Better still, add a test to
exercise the affected code.  If it fixes a bug, then the addition
of a test case should be very high priority -- or else provide a good
explanation for why creating a test case is not feasible.

Since I've seen no justification for that change, I see no point in
trying to make it work.  Besides, that's the responsibility of the
the person who pushes it to the trunk.