[parted-devel] Reverse ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Mon Feb 19 14:40:06 CET 2007

"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sure. But keep on mind that distclean is target to make it with less
>> generated files as possible but on the same state of the distribution
>> tarball. It's not target to remove the m4 macros neither the configure
>> script for example.
>
> I just downloaded the Parted 1.8.2 tarball and ran a
> $ ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && make distclean
> on the latest Git snapshot. I found that the content of both
> directories are not the same. The distribution tarball had lesser
> number of files than the one I obtained after running 'make distclean'
> on the Git snapshot. Here are some of the files that were extra in the
> development version:
> a. autogen.sh
> b. autom4te.cache/
> c. ChangeLog.0
> d. libparted/ChangeLog.0
> e. parted/ChangeLog.0
> f. m4/
>
> Now some of these, like ./autogen.sh, are not part of the tarball but
> are in the Git tree because they are needed to generate certain
> components of it. So it is understandable make distclean did not
> remove them. What about things like 'm4/'? It is neither a part of the
> distribution tarball nor is it part of the Git tree.

My gnulib-based (in-progress) changes also automatically adds files
to m4/, and gnulib-tool provides a way to remove such directories.
Adding this line to Makefile.am should do the trick:

  MOSTLYCLEANDIRS = m4

My changes take care of that one.
This takes care of the other:

  MOSTLYCLEANDIRS += autom4te.cache