[parted-devel] 02-more-rigorous-make-distcheck-framework

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Feb 28 12:00:53 CET 2007

Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
> This patch introduces the framework I've been using in coreutils
> for ages.  It helps enforce some of the little nit-picking rules
> that we don't like to think about day-to-day, but that really
> do matter in some contexts.

I noticed that there was a minor problem with this patch.
Rules in Makefile.am reference .prev-version, yet that file
didn't exist.  I've just fixed it locally by doing this:

  * .prev-version: New file.
  * Makefile.am (EXTRA_DIST): Add .prev-version.

The symptom of the problem is a harmless diagnostic every time you
run "make" saying the file is not found.  That file is used (and
automatically updated/committed) only when preparing a release,
to create an .xdelta file that can be used to convert the previous
released tarball into the current one -- useful for people who
download with very limited bandwidth.

Currently, I have this for contents:

  $ cat .prev-version
  1.8