[parted-devel] Proposal: Rewrite of Parted UI

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 17:02:27 CET 2007

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to discuss a proposal for Parted 2.0. I think we should
> rewrite the Parted UI application.
>
> Current code has a lot of problems and should be refactored but while
> I was looking at it and talking to David on IRC we thought that could
> be better to rewrite it.
>
> The idea is:
>
>  - start a parted-ng directory on master branch and keep it while it
>    miss features against current parted ui,
>
>  - once it's done replace the parted with the parted-ng version.

Just to be clear... I'd prefer this parted-ng directory to be inside the
master branch checkout.  Not another branch.  So you'd check out the
master branch code and see these directories inside the project:

	parted/
	parted-ng/
	libparted/

While we are releasing 1.9.x, users will get both the current parted(8)
user interface *and* the parted-ng(8) user interface.  Once we deem
parted-ng good, we remove parted and rename parted-ng to parted.

That was my idea.

> My personal idea about the design of it would be:
>
>  - modular;
>
>  - plugin based;
>
>  - completely new code;
>
> Doing it, we'll discover which parts of code will be used a lot and
> then those would be merge on the library itself. Without this I think
> will be difficult to identify the right parts of code that should be
> merge and which shouldn't.
>
> Please, comment on it.

I would like it to support sfdisk(8) scripts.  The plugin idea is really
good.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA