[parted-devel] Failure with O_DIRECT

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Wed Jul 4 14:21:03 UTC 2007

>> sector_size is the drive's logical sector size.
>
> This must be a multiple of phys_sector_size, right?

No, the plan is to keep logical sector sizes at 512 for
compatibility.

And IIRC, ATAPI gives the physical sector size as a multiple of the
logical.

> ...when using a regular file (init_file), sector_size is set
> to PED_SECTOR_SIZE_DEFAULT unconditionally, regardless of the
> underlying file system block size.  But here, it matters for
> O_DIRECT on losing (e.g. 2.4.x) systems.
Yeah, it might be way better to make this the underlying file system's
block size.  But beware, I don't know how well stuff currently works
with block sizes (be they physical or logical) != 512.  Especially
the msdos label format isn't going to take it.

  Leslie