[parted-devel] Re: indentation changes render parted/ui.c nearly unmergeable

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Mar 2 21:42:54 CET 2007

"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would prefer to include the indent or astyle pre-commit hook.
>
> Is this the mechanism that will reject any patch that does not conform to
> the coding standard? If yes, then fantastic. To augment it we can still

That's the goal.  I don't know if it's attainable.
It might be too draconian.
Depends a lot on how um,... committed the developers are.

It might be nearly as good to have a way to check manually,
e.g., "make check-indentation".  Then there won't be the hook-related
overhead (and complexity) of checking at every push.  Think what happens
when your carefully prepared, locally-committed patch cannot be pushed
because of the hook.  You'd have to redo it to get past the hook.