[parted-devel] Problems in configure script.

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:33:13 CET 2007

Here are some issues that I have been encountering in the configure script.

a. It fails to detect the Readline libraries in my system.
[root at sunflower ~]# rpm -qa | grep readline
readline-devel-5.1-1.1
readline-5.1-1.1
[root at sunflower ~]
I also have Readline 5.2 installed in my home directory.

At this point I have to mention that I am able to compile programs
using Readline in GCC using the '-lreadline -ltermcap' flag. eg.,
http://glug-nith.org/~rishi/download/src/readline1.c

David says this is a bug in Fedora Core 6's readline* package, since
termcap should not be mentioned. However even if I force GCC to use
the vanilla Readline in my home using '~/lib/libreadline.so' the
'-ltermcap' is still needed. So it does not look like a bug in the
package to me.

Funnily I have never had this problem before and there does not seem
to be any change in the configure script regarding Readline recently.

b. It seems that CHECK 0.9.3 does not have a check.pc file, however
version 0.9.5 does have it. So we may either need to bump the CHECK
version or change the way we are looking for it. Currently we are
using PKG_CHECK_MODULES.

When I do:
$ ./configure --without-readline
./configure: line 35341: syntax error near unexpected token `CHECK,'
./configure: line 35341: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(CHECK, check >= 0.9.3,
have_check=yes, have_check=no)'

This is problem is not there when I use the system's M4 1.4.,
.Autoconf 2.59 and Automake 1.9.6 in /usr with the configure script
generated by an older snapshot Parted. The PKG_CHECK_MODULES code has
not changed from the older configure.ac, so the problem is elsewhere.
Is it because the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro is missing in the vanilla M4
1.4.8, Autoconf 2.61 and Automake 1.10 installed in my $HOME?

Am I making a mistake?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--