[parted-devel] bug in parted 1.8.2 ???

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Sun Mar 4 14:43:04 CET 2007

LarryT <gparted at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found the package in gentoo and currently rebuilding livecd with valgrind.
> Tell me please how it works ?
> I must run gparted from within Terminal with some options ???

There's no need to recompile in order to use valgrind, but it does
work better (by including line numbers in stack traces) if the tools
you're investigating include debugging symbols.

To use gparted under valgrind, run gparted like this from a terminal:

    valgrind --num-callers=25 -- gparted [any gparted options]

Be aware that using valgrind's --num-callers=25 option
does slow things down even more than valgrind normally does,
but given the size of the stack trace in the bug report,
it seems necessary to get the full trace.

If you'd rather not start it from a terminal,
you can tell valgrind to send its log info to a file, e.g.,

    valgrind --num-callers=25 --log-file-exactly=/tmp/vg-parted -- gparted