[parted-devel] Parted on GNU Hurd based systems

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Mar 14 18:07:34 CET 2007

"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > But 'struct fdasd_anchor' is a struct defined in include/parted/fdasd.h.
>
>> Then I wonder why there was such an #if directive in the first place.
>> Maybe some of the types used in that struct definition are s390-specific?
>
> I will look into it.
>
>> BTW, what is your goal in excluding them?
>> If you insist on excluding them, be sure that you're
>> not also excluding them from the distribution tarball (the one
>> created by "make dist" run on an x86 Linux system) -- unless
>> that is the intent, in which case I'd say you should just remove
>> them altogether.
>
> I just do not want to install the headers on a system which does not
> have __s390__ or __s390x__ defined, since the associated functions
> would not be compiled into the library.

This comes back to the question of why there are such #ifdefs
in the first place.  Unless there is a compelling reason,
a libparted installation on an s390 should provide the very
same header files as everywhere else.

[Note that I lack background on this, so if something
 I'm saying doesn't make sense, that's probably why :-) ]

Shouldn't it be possible operate on s390-oriented images
from other systems?  It would be useful if only to ensure that
we can test the affected code without having s390 hardware handy.