[parted-devel] parted with iPod 80GB

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 14:50:09 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 23:50 +0000, Mario Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use parted with an iPod 80GB.
> the sector size is 2048, so I hoped to succed with version 1.8.3.
> But this is the output:
>
> [root at thinkpad ~]# parted /dev/sda
> Warning: Device /dev/sda has a logical sector size of 2048.  Not all
> parts of GNU Parted support this at the moment, and the working code
> is HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> GNU Parted 1.8.3
> Using /dev/sda
> Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
> (parted) print
> Error: Unable to open /dev/sda - unrecognised disk label.
> (parted) quit
> Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.
>
> While fdisk succeds
>
> [root at thinkpad ~]# fdisk /dev/sda
> Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes
>
>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1               1           4      128394    0  Empty
> /dev/sda2               5        2432    78011640    b  W95 FAT32
>
> Is it supposed to work? Am I missing anything?
> I'm using kernel 2.6.20.3 which I've recompiled, on a Fedora Core 5.

This has been reported on Fedora Core 6 to me as well... iPods and
problems using parted.

From what you have provided, there appears to be a single FAT32
partition containing all of the data.  I'm not sure how Apple partitions
the disk that way, but they are probably not using a standard DOS disk
label, which would be my guess as to why you get the unrecognized
disklabel error when doing a 'parted print'.

I don't have an iPod and I don't know how to fix this issue without an
iPod.  If someone can provide specifications as to the disk layout in an
iPod, that would also be acceptable.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA