[parted-devel] converting leading TABs to leading spaces: summary

Håkon Løvdal hlovdal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:01:55 CET 2007

On 19/03/07, Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
> "Håkon Løvdal" <hlovdal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The parsing done by the script is extremely naive :) It counts
> > the leading space in multi line comments as indentation which
> > it is not.
>
> On the contrary, such leading white space most definitely does count as
> indentation.  What happens when you change code to increase or decrease
> its indentation?  You adjust the comment lines, too, don't you?  So they
> must use the same rules as the rest of the code.  Likewise, in a diff
> that changes code adjacent to such a comment, you expect the adjacent
> code and comment lines to appear at the same indentation level in diffs,
> so they must be indented precisely the same way.

I was probably not clear enought, but the multi line comments I was
talking about
are those in front of most functions, on the form

/**
 * xxxxxxxx
 * xxxxx
 * xxxxxxxxxxx
 * xxxxxxxx
 */

Here the single space at the beginning of the line serves an
alignment purpose and not indentation.

There are of course some comments inbetween statements
which are indented in the same way, but comparing the number of
lines for those they are a small fraction compared to those
in-front-of-function comments. Therefore it gives a more correct picture
to not include comments.

BR Håkon Løvdal