[parted-devel] parted with iPod 80GB

Mario Rossi mariofutire at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:45:02 CET 2007

On 3/27/07, Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the report and the disk image.
> The problem was that your iPod partition table header
> triggers a test for FAT file system, thus eliminating it.
> Here's a patch that helps.
> With it, at least, I now get this
>
>     # ./parted /dev/loop0 print
>     Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
>     Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.
>
>     [Exit 1]
>
> BTW, if your disk really does have 2048-byte sectors,
> then this patch is insufficient.  The label-matching code in
> msdos_probe still requires a sector size of 512.  However, in your
> image, everything between byte 512 and the 2K mark is all zeros.
>
> Anyway, can you rebuild parted with this patch and try it on the actual disk?

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I'm in the process of moving home.
I've tried the patch, but, as you said, in the function msdos_probe,
the check on the sector size kicks in before any other check and I get
exactly the same answer:

Error: Unable to open /dev/sda - unrecognised disk label.

The sector size is definetly 2048, but I think when running on the
loop device both fdisk and parted detect the sector size as 512.
fdisk allows you to override it, so you get meaningful results on the
loop device as well.
parted, on the othe hand, stays at 512, so testing on the loop device
is not good.

That is why I cannot get the same error as you
>Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
when running on the actual iPod.

I'm happy to test any patches you might have (if any)...