[parted-devel] Proposal for a guideline on patch short descriptions

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Sat May 19 21:47:01 UTC 2007

Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> writes:

> Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
>> I was looking at our short log GIT output and realized that it might
>> be improved.
>>
>> I'd like to propose the following "commit groups"
>>
>>  [libparted] - commits related to the libparted itself
>>  [parted] - commits related to the parted UI
>>  [parted-ng] - commits related to the new parted UI
>>  [partprobe] - commits related to the partprobe utility
>>  [tests] - commits related to library and integration tests
>
> I find that the summary log line is already limited enough in length,
> and with a well written description the reader can easily tell
> which parts are affected.  So I don't think it's worth the trouble.

While I agree on that I also think it's really confuse sometimes to
figure out which part the patch touches ... that's why I proposed it.

> However, as with other types of "process" (like indentation),
> this can be a good thing, but only if it is automated:
>
>   - it should be automated: i.e. I should be able to use a pre-commit script
>   to check each commit I make to ensure it has one of the accepted prefixes
>   - it must be enforced on the centralized repository, too (a pre-push,
>   aka update, hook)

I agree. It should be made on the centralized repository to avoid
mistakes from our part.

>   - use shorter prefixes, e.g., "parted: ", not "[parted] - ".
>   - speaking of shortening, any prefix containing "parted" is redundant,
>   so here are shorter ones to consider:
>       lib:
>       ui:
>       ui-ng:
>       test:
>       doc:
>       partprobe:

Ack.

> I'd be more enthusiastic about the idea if there were already such tools.

Which tools? To enforce this control using the hooks? It shouldn't be
that hard to write and I can do it if we agree on it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855