[parted-devel] Debugging question

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Tue May 22 10:37:26 UTC 2007

"Matt Davis" <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering how you all typically debug.  I was figuring I
> could `dd` a empty file, turn that into a filesystem `mkfs` and debug

You have to create the partition table first (e.g., via
'parted dev-file mklabel msdos').  Take a look at parted's tests,
tests/t*.sh, in the development sources for examples.

However, note that that will test only with 512-byte sector sizes
on conventional file systems.  I.e., you can't simulate certain
newer disks for which the sector size is larger.  In order to test
with a different sector size, you really need the actual device.