[parted-devel] MBR Conversion and Preservation

Matt Davis mattdavis9 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 19:03:06 UTC 2007

I've been trying to dig around and come up with useful features for parted, that
I can do now, while waiting for the big VFS rework to get started.

-Idea 0x00- Save/Load an MBR to file

This would allow users, who toast their MBR to safely restore it.  Its nothing
more than ` dd bs=512 count=1 if=dev of=user-file-name` merely implemented as a
read 512B and write to a user specified file.  Likewise, ability to load/restore a previously saved MBR from this file would be convenient too.

-Idea 0x01- Convert from one label to another label
This could be useful, I've never had to do such, and I actually wonder if it
would be useful to anyone else?

-Matt (Enferex)