[parted-devel] What should I work on?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 16:43:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:52:27 +0530
"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think I could help you with the vfs development.  What I think would
> > be useful is to essentially treat each filesystem type, and
> > corresponding library as a plugin to parted.  This would allow for the
> > addition and extension for new filesystems relatively easy.  Merely
> > attach/bind the desired parted function to a set of routines these
> > outside libraries have.
>
> Yes, that was the idea when I wrote the SoC proposal some months back.
> David Cantrell was supposed to be my mentor then. Let's see if he has
> anything to add. :-)

I would say that working on the VFS layer and removing our filesystem code in favor of external filesystem labels would be most useful immediately.  Would could gain resize support for a lot of filesystems pretty quickly.

However, we have a snag now.  Specifically with e2fsprogs.  Someone needs to talk to e2fsprogs and make sure their license will work with parted (which is now GPL v3).  Last I checked, e2fsprogs was GPLv2 only.

But if you don't want to do that, work on the other filesystems that have compatible licenses.  Maybe reiserfs or something like that to start with.  Anything to get the plugin structure there now.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA