[parted-devel] GNU fdisk 1.1 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 12 23:44:45 UTC 2008

Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
> I am very happy to announce the release of GNU fdisk 1.1.
>
> GNU fdisk aims to replace various UNIX operating systems' legacy
> partitioning tools with libparted-based ones that mimic the
> interface of those tools.
>
> Currently implemented alternatives are:
>
>   * util-linux `fdisk'
>   * util-linux `cfdisk'
>
> Both versions have a compability mode and a GNU mode
> that offers additional features.

Do they avoid writing even a single sector outside the partitioning
structure itself?  This is a very important property out of the
util-linux fdisk, as it can be used to recreate a destroyed partition
structure, and to change the structure of the partitions while retaining
the data on them.

If that is supported, that is a great thing... especially if it means
also supporting GPT.

	-hpa