[parted-devel] GNU fdisk 1.1 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Dec 14 22:04:18 UTC 2008

Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
>> Do they avoid writing even a single sector outside the partitioning
>> structure itself?
>
> I can't tell that for sure, I'd have to consult the libparted
> source code for that.
>
>> to change the structure of the partitions while retaining
>> the data on them.
>
> I believe not being able to do so is a limitation of the current
> Parted frontend, not of libparted itself.

That is my understanding too, although it would be a great thing to get
it confirmed.  Otherwise trying to use GNU fdisk as a drop-in
replacement for util-linux would be actively dangerous.  A better
alternative to util-linux fdisk is definitely a Good Thing[TM]; I have
looked at that source base considering adding GPT support, and it's a
total mess.

	-hpa