[parted-devel] [parted 1.8.8] msdos label and file system corruption issues with > 2TB disk

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Sat Feb 2 20:26:41 UTC 2008

Michael Reed <mdr at sgi.com> wrote:
> How is your work proceeding?  Is there anything I can help with?
> I'd like to forward these fixes on to several distros of interest....

Here's a patch series that's close to what I'll commit -- probably
Monday.  I don't appreciate having to add two separate test scripts,
one for msdos and another for dvh, but the variations seem
to indicate minor problems and I don't want to pollute
a merged script, and don't want to paper over the differences
just to avoid duplication.  Hence the FIXME comments in tests/t41*.

The first change appears to be required in order to use mkpart -s to
create any primary partition in a dvh partition table, so it's a
prerequisite for passing the new dvh test.  The second imposes the
implicit partition-size-limitation requirement for msdos and dvh
partition tables.  It should be easy to add more table types, now.
See e.g., the new _partition_max_start function.
Just be sure to add a test to go along with it, and if you do,
please try to avoid any more duplication of the t4100-* test scripts.