[parted-devel] History patchset

Matt Davis mattdavis9 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 04:14:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:01:46AM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> writes:
>
> > "Matt Davis" <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Here is my most recent implementation.  If this is not cool please let me know.
> >> This is only implemented for the Linux architecture.  Adding the
> >> initialization for the PedHistoryManager for other architectures
> >> should be similar.  But I have not added them at this time, as I am
> >> waiting to make sure this patchset is appropriate :-)
> >
> > Matt and I have been talking a little off-list.
> > A new feature like this must not introduce incompatible API changes.
> > Whether that's feasible, I don't know, off hand.
>
> How is this progress going?

Otavio,
I am done with the initial patchset.  Unfortunately I do not know if the changes
I have made seem desirable to libparted, as Jim has pointed out.  Most of the
work was done to benefit the library (and to give me something to do in my free
time hehehe).

I cannot see where having this history feature is a hinderance as a library
feature.  I am out of town from Friday to Sunday.  And I have some other needs
to attened to in the next upcoming days.  I can take a closer look to see if
it's a feasible addition to roll all of this into parted core and not touch the
library, but I am not sure how much change would be needed for that at the
moment.  But I do not want to take that route if for some reason we can leave it
in the library?  Either way, I am glad to be constructively utilizing my free
time on this project, and I respect the words of both Jim and yourself for even
considering my patchset.  Thanks!

-Matt (enferex)