[parted-devel] History patchset

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Feb 15 11:17:55 UTC 2008

Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in> writes:
>> On 13-Feb-08, at 4:59 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>>> A new feature like this must not introduce incompatible API changes.
>>> Whether that's feasible, I don't know, off hand.
>>
>> We could include history support in libparted-2.0. API may change in
>> other areas as well?
>
> I think that Jim means we can't change, radically, how libparted works
> otherwise the effort need to migrate to it will be too big and noone
> will do that.

Sort of.
The point is that if there is to be a change,
it has to be for more than a "would be nice" new feature.

And if many public function signatures require modification to
support a feature that some applications won't even want to use,
then maybe it's not such a desirable feature after all.

However, if developers of important libparted client applications
say they want this feature and are willing to do the work required
to adapt their code to use it, then it's probably worthwhile.