[parted-devel] new kid on the block

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 09:21:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been browsing through Savannah's (http://savannah.gnu.org) "help
wanted" website and I found a link about how fdisk was needing help. I
then e-mailed fdisk's author and he told me how there's a lot of stuff
yet to be done on parted project. So I decided to take a look and I
found this site:

    http://parted.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/PlanningEdge

which I think is the TODO list for the project. I took a look there
and I thought the task "Partition guessing" looked particularly
interesting.

I'm a computer science student and I have already studied about OSes
and filesystems, not that I'm an expert now, but I understand some of
the theory behind it. I'm willing to study more about it. I have been
working with C throughtout the time I've been to college and I'm
confortable with my C skills. Now I've been looking for some GNU
project to help out. I use GNU tools so much that I feel I should give
something back. Besides, that's a good way to study more about the
system, which I enjoy.

Is that task still pending? Should I give it a shot or is there
something else in the project that I'll be able to give better help?
Since I never read the parted code before and I don't have much
experience with file systems I'll probably take a while doing that
task. So maybe someone has a better task for me to help the project
with.

[]'s
Rafael