[parted-devel] [parted 1.8.8] boot partitions on disks larger than 2TB

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jan 30 17:42:34 UTC 2008

Michael Reed wrote:

> Great minds....  The one thing I thought about with this idea is that
> it appears to be a mild violation of the Intel EFI spec regarding the
> content of PMBR.  Specs can change....
>
> As I haven't tried this yet, does it require the
> "gpt" kernel parameter to override PMBR validation errors?
>
> Can the mentioned partition layout be created with parted?

Well, the EFI spec is, well, EFI-centric.  All hail our new EFI
overlords, and all that.  Otherwise, it might have specified a
GPT-centric BIOS boot protocol, but it didn't do so.

We can come up with another protocol, but it wouldn't be able to boot
Redmond OSes, and $DEITY only knows how many would follow it.

The bigger issue is that the PMBR being, well, an MBR, has a
4-paritition limit, and even two boot partitions could overflow that if
they are noncontiguous.

	-hpa